What Does Detoxifying Mean?
Simply put, detoxification is the process of cleansing the blood. Oftentimes, this is done by removing impurities from the blood within the liver, which is where toxins are processed for elimination. Additionally, the body eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin.
Detoxification programs can assist the body’s natural cleansing process by:
- Resting the organs through fasting
- Stimulating the liven to encourage toxins out of the body
- Promotes elimination through the intestines, kidney, and skin
- Improving the circulation of the blood
- Refuels the body with healthy nutrients
When Should You Detox?
You know your body best—but many studies reveal that detoxifying at least once a year can provide copious benefits. If you are considering completing a detox, be sure to consult with your healthcare practitioner first, as it is not suggested for everyone.
Detoxifying can be great for symptoms like:
- Extreme or unexplained fatigue
- Skin irritations
- Low-grade infections
- Persistent bloating
- Issues with menstrual cycle
- Mental fog or confusion
- & more
Five Useful Tips To Detoxify
- Eat anti-inflammatory foods: Filling your plate with sulfur-rich foods and cruciferous vegetables is an excellent way to reduce chronic inflammation and reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Some examples of these foods include onions, garlic, broccoli, kale, collard greens, and cauliflower. These foods are high in antioxidants and help support the body’s ability to fight off toxins.
- Drink water: It’s so tempting to begin your day with caffeinated drinks such a tea or coffee. However, beginning your day with water, specifically lemon water helps to stimulate the liver and gallbladder to release toxins. Lemon contains citric acid, which is linked to the body’s ability to naturally flush out toxins. Warm lemon water also assists with stimulating digestive enzymes and peristalsis which encourages detoxifying bowel movements.
- Sweat it out: Whether you get your sweat on in the sauna or the gym, sweating is an excellent way to detox your body. Sweating is your body’s natural way of eliminating waste. Set some time aside in the day to relax in the sauna or get in a quick sweaty gym session. If your workout routine leaves you feeling sore, treat your muscles to A88CBD™ Muscle Salve for added relief.
- Dry brushing: Dry brushing is simple and powerful. Dry brushing should be done using gentle strokes, stimulating your lymphatic system. Your lymphatic system can be thought of as the garbage disposal network of your body. This system transfers your body’s waste and toxins to the blood for filtration and elimination. Activating your lymphatic system can help your body to move toxins and waste from your tissues while exfoliating your skin, leaving it soft to the touch!
- Just breathe: The most simple and cost-effective way to detox—deep breaths. You can practice mindful breathing in many ways, but meditation is one of the most popular. Your body holds on to emotions, stress, pain, and trauma. Breathing exercises are one of many ways you can relieve some of those toxins from your body.
Keeping your body healthy and “toxin-free” is easier and cheaper than you may think! We’ve shared 5 ways to detox, but there are plenty of other safe and effective ways to detox in addition to our suggestions. Don’t feel overwhelmed trying to do all of them at once, keep it simple and try one or two at a time!