Using essential oils topically is by far the most popular method of application. Applying oils topically is simple, quick, and effective—and sure to be your favorite once you get the hang of it! Most people enjoy topical applications because you can direct the essential oils to specifically targeted spots of your body. This allows users to customize their essential oil routine and apply it to precise areas to achieve desired results.
Most essential oils are safe to be applied topically, however, if you have sensitive skin you may want to proceed with caution. If you are interested in using essential oils topically, consider the following:
- Essential oils can be applied practically anywhere, including the crown of your head, behind the ears, on your neck, and even your temples!
- Dilute, dilute, dilute. If you find that essentials oils are sensitizing your skin (or if you already know you are sensitive to certain products) we recommend diluting your essential oil product with a carrier oil before applying topically.
- Essential oils are great for aromatherapy and massage. Utilizing calming oils like lavender, cedarwood, and copaiba oil with a carrier oil is a great way to bring rejuvenation and relaxation to your body after a tough workout or long day sitting at your desk.
Is It Safe to Apply Essential Oils Topically?
Generally speaking—yes, it is safe to apply essential oils topically. However, it’s important to understand how to dilute oils if needed. Many users fear that diluting their essential oils will make their products less effective, but it actually does the opposite. By combining your essential oil with a carrier oil, you increase the absorption rate. By diluting the essential oil, you can enhance absorption, slow the rate of evaporation, and protect your sensitive skin.
Carrier oils are an important component of applying your essential oils topically. The ideal carrier oil is a pure vegetable oil so that it easily dissolves without damaging the profile of your essential oil. If the profile of your oil is damaged, it can affect the efficacy of your oil, preventing you from receiving all of the benefits on the oil.
Some examples of carrier oils that are commonly used include:
- Coconut Oil
- Olive OIl
- Sunflower Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Avocado Oil
Before applying your essential oils topically you should always do your research to determine if the oil needs to be combined with a carrier oil. Some examples of essential oils that should never be applied without dilution are cassia, cinnamon, clove, cumin, geranium, lemongrass, oregano, and thyme.
Where To Apply Oils
Let’s discuss some of the best places to apply essential oils topically to receive the most benefits.
- Temples, forehead, the base of the skin, neck - Apply essential oils here to reduce the feelings of tension, stress, and anxiety.
- Face - Apply essential oils here to promote a healthy complexion and reduce blemishes.
- Chest - Apply essential oils here to relieve the feelings of chest tightness and promote clear breathing.
- Abdomen - Apply essential oils here if you are looking for digestive support and relief of discomfort.
- Arms, back, legs - Apple essential oils here to relieve your muscles after exercise or physical activity.
- Bottoms of your feet - Apply essential oils here to try a new oil, as it provides optimum absorption with a low chance of sensitivity thanks to the thick skin on the bottom of your feet.
Stand Out Essential Oils
There are tons of essential oils to choose from, but some of our favorites include:
Lavender: Lavender oil can be apple to the back of your neck, or added to bathwater to help de-stress and relax after a long day. It helps to soothe skin irritation, relieve the feelings of tension and helps to decrease the feelings of anxiety, and promote restful sleep.
Copaiba: Copaiba oil is a great tool to support your skin as it helps to smooth skin and reduce the appearance of blemishes. Additionally, it helps to support the cardiovascular, immune, and digestive systems.
Peppermint: Peppermint oil offers feelings of relief and can be a great way to wake up in the morning. Apply peppermint oil to the back of your neck for tension relief and an extra boost to get through the day.
If you’re looking for a high-quality essential oil product to start with, check out A88CBD™'s Essential Oil Roll-On. You’ll find pre-diluted essential oil to roll-on to jumpstart your essential oil use!