Are you looking to learn more about where CBD comes from? Well, look no further!
Cannabidiol (CBD) comes from cannabis. It goes through a process in which CBD oil is extracted from the hemp plant. After extraction, the oil from the plant is added into various products, such as tinctures, gummies, capsules, and topical products.
Best Methods of CBD Extraction
There are a few different methods of extraction, the most common being with the use of carbon dioxide or steam.
Carbon Dioxide (CO₂) Extraction
CO₂ extraction uses “supercritical” carbon dioxide to extract CBD oil from the hemp plant. The term “supercritical” refers to the CO₂ containing properties of both a liquid and a gas state. Sometimes, you’ll see this process called Supercritical Fluid Extraction (SFE).
This specific method is the most preferred method, but it can be costly as it uses expensive, specialized machinery. It is loved for it’s safe and efficient ability to produce a high concentration of CBD in the oil it extracts.
CBD Extraction Process
- To begin extraction, one chamber holds pressurized CO₂ while another pressurized chamber holds the hemp plant that the oil will be extracted from.
- Then, CO₂ is pumped from the first chamber into the other one. This is when supercritical CO₂ is able to break down the hemp plant, causing the oil to separate from the plant.
- Last, the CO₂ and oil that was extracted are combined into a third chamber. At this point, the gas evaporates, and pure CBD oil is left behind.
This should come as no surprise -- this method gets its name because steam is used to separate CBD oil from the hemp plant. The hemp plant remains contained inside of a glass flask, that features an inlet and an outlet. The inlet connects to another glass container that is located beneath the plant flask and has water that will be boiled. The outlet connects to a condenser tube.
- As the water boils, steam rises into the flask that is holding the hemp plant, separating the oil that contains CBD.
- Then, the vapors that are released into a tube that condensed them into oil and water.
- The collected oil and water is then distilled in order to remove the CBD oil from the water.
This method has been used for centuries and is often used to extract essential oils. When it comes to CBD, CO₂ remains the most preferred method.
All About A88CBD™
A88CBD™ is sourced from Centuria Foods, a global leader in phytocannabinoid-rich hemp-derived CBD ingredients for use in nutritional, pharmaceutical, and wellness products.
Centuria Foods uses an organic certified cold ethanol extraction process to retrieve CBD oil from the hemp plant. The output is winterized, decarboxylated nascent oil. Additionally, it is processed with the utmost retention of the cannabinoid profiles and their symphonic effect from the highest bioavailability. Then, the oil goes through rigorous testing to test potency, the presence of pesticides, residual solvents, and heavy metals.
Thanks to Centuria Foods state-of-the-art processes and strict commitment to their standards, the CBD oil that is added to A88CBD™ products is some of the best available on the market.